Curtidos Badia manufactures its goods according to environmental impact minimization criteria, and makes sure that its products meet the highest quality standards while reducing production risks, protecting its workers, and minimizing the impact generated by its processes.
1. Risk control and minimization (using Life Cycle Assessment methodology).
2. Traceability Control
LCA is a basic environmental management tool that measures the environmental impact of a product throughout its life cycle: the extraction of the raw material, its production process, its distribution, its use, and the end of its useful life, when the product becomes waste
It’s a prediction tool and, as such, it is used before a product enters the market. LCA helps us make decisions regarding the process and allows us to choose lower-impact products. It’s an essential tool for sustainable design and a great method for optimizing resources.
LCA allows us to:
- Provide the most thorough information possible regarding the interaction of the product, process, or activity with the environment.
- Contribute to the understanding of all the interdependent environmental consequences of human activities.
- Predict negative consequences during the decision making process and identify opportunities for environmental improvement.
- Foster a constructive discussion among different sectors of society concerned about environmental quality.
Traceability control of the raw material used in our process in order to guarantee the well-being of the animal before being slaughtered. We promote the consumption of local products, bearing in mind their quality, the proximity between the product’s origin and where it is consumed, and the value of seasonal products. The consumption of local products is also about having access product information: its origin, its production, the channels through which it is distributed, etc. Another positive aspect has to do with creating synergy among local producers and local consumers.
According to the Catalan Consumer Agency, the benefits of buying local products are the following:
- We have a more direct knowledge of the product’s origin, which translates into higher quality and safety for the consumer.
- Our consumption is more sustainable, as the energetic costs of transportation are lower when compared to those of products from distant areas.
- We support small family farms and at the same time we prevent the abandonment of forest areas.
- We favor the conservation of endangered local crop species.
- We contribute to the growth and development of our country.
Zero Discharge of Hazardous Chemicals (ZDHC)
Our goal is to eliminate the use of restricted substances in the manufacturing sector.
In order to eliminate these substances from our productive system (both from the raw material and from the chemicals we use) we research alternatives to substitute the chemicals which contain them. This allows us to design safer processes and to reduce the presence of these substances in the goods.
Training is a very important part of this project, and it involves everyone in the chain of production (our internal team, our suppliers, firms, and other intermediaries) in order to meet the chemical standards we have decided to meet.
We optimize the natural resources we need to process our hides.
We optimize energy consumption and implement plans to reduce water consumption